Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Anyone Can Cook

In Ratatouille, the Peter O'Toole character, Anton Ego, has a great speech about the nature of being a critic. Here is what he says:

In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new.



This is pretty insightful and accurate.

Except in the case of Fox's new sitcom Back To You, which is a painfully unfunny new show starring Kelsey Gramm
ar and Patricia Heaton. I had an idea that I would have a weekly segment on the blog where I would watch Back To You and talk about how bad it is. Frankly, though, after watching one episode, I honestly don't think I can do it. The entire episode centered around Kelsey Grammar trying to cover up that he killed a goldfish and Fred Willard trying to figure out how to get an orange into his pants, magically. Does this sound entertaining?

So, after careful consideration, I have decided to scrap that segment of the blog. Plus, how can I be mean to my personal acquaintance and friend Kelsey Grammar? (Oh y
es, I'm confident he remembers me.)

Instead, going back to Ratatouille, I've been told by several friends that I resemble the lead human character, Linguini. Here are pictures of us side-by-side:













I don't see it. But hey, it's like hearing the sound of your own voice.

No comments: