Friday, October 12, 2007

Beirut at the Avalon

I realize I've been on a blogging drought. Every night I sit here and try to think of something to write about, but it seems I've used up my clever angles and gimmicks for the month. Raj says I should write about the Cowboys-Bills game of last Monday night and go in depth as to the agonizing and painful defeat the Bills all-too-often take. But, as all writers must, I am thinking about my audience, which consists of a few people at work, my mother, and the seven people a week who get here by typing "Caravan Jokes" into Google.

Honestly, what are these hysterical jokes about caravans I am missing? The surprising volume of people looking up this subject makes me think there is a vast, untapped market I should be looking into. I may become the world's first Caravan Comic. Nothing but jokes about emigrating nomads (a Rabbi, a Priest, and a Buddhist).

I eventually settled on the Beirut show I went to see on Wednesday night. Beirut is essentially this very talented guy Zach Condon and crew (a caravan, if you will) of cellists, violinists, pianists, horn players, and whatever else he may need. Here's them playing the song "Postcards From Italy" from their previous album "Gulag Orkestar".



They have a new album that came out on Tuesday that I haven't bought yet. And unlike some experimental British popsters I could name, they actually expect you to go to a store and buy it, in person! I'm all too happy to oblige. I don't have $220,000 sitting around to give to the RIAA.

Speaking of which, do you know why nobody buys music anymore? There are no record stores! Just a few years ago, when I was in college, they were everywhere. Nowadays, the only place I really know to go to is Amoeba, and parking there when it's busy is like trying to get Britney Spears to wear underwear!

Anyway, if you like Beirut and think that music might be a suitable blog topic in the future, why not let me know? It seems odd for me to talk about music on the blog, and I'm not much of a critic, so there won't be much in the way of cornea-damagingly long reviews.

Anyway, have a good weekend everybody.

1 comment:

It's Mom said...

I'm glad for the mention. You can count on me!