Sunday, December 2, 2007

I Made A List Today, Oh Boy

I was discussing The Beatles with my friend Lelah yesterday and what our favorite songs by them are. I'm not sure she has a specific favorite, but she said she's had "I'm So Tired" in her head for several days now. I don't think I've listened to The White Album all the way through for awhile, and I remembered what a great song that was. I thought I'd post my Top Ten Beatles Songs, which is a harder list to compile than you might imagine, because so many brilliant songs are inevitably cut.


Keep in mind that I went with my first instincts here, and would almost certainly create a different list in another month or another year. Here they are, in reverse order:

10) I've Just Seen A Face - Amazingly, this is the earliest song on this list. One of Paul's very best two minute pop songs.

9) Dear Prudence - It was between this and "Happiness is a Warm Gun". John's best song from The White Album gets the spot at Number 9, Number 9, Number 9...

8) Eleanor Rigby - I don't have much to say about this one.

7) While My Guitar Gently Weeps/Something - I know I'm cheating a little bit, here, but I wanted at least one George song on this list, and I just can't decide between these two.

6) Dig A Pony - A frequently overlooked song, considering some of the softer melodies on Let It Be. A miraculous song, and maybe the best straight-out-rock tune John ever wrote.

5) Tomorrow Never Knows - It's trendy to pick this one, but can you imagine hearing this for the first time in 1966?

4) She's Leaving Home - I don't have much to say about this one either, but it's a beautifully sad song and seems to fit in perfectly in the middle of Sgt. Pepper.

3) I Am The Walrus - What can you say? This song is out of its mind:



2) Let It Be - Heather Mills says Paul was violent and abusive to her, and maybe he was, I have no idea. How could someone who did those things write this song? It doesn't make any sense.

1) A Day In The Life - If I had the strength right now, I'd do my "Greatest Songs Ever" list. This would be high up there. It's a song I've heard countless times and I don't get tired of it.

I invite lists of your own in the comments below and I'm sure I'll be reminded of a few songs that I'll want to include into my own list. "Top Ten Dylan Songs" coming soon.

7 comments:

rednikki said...

I'm not sure what my Top 10 would be, but I think that Paperback Writer would be in it. Possibly also Norwegian Wood.

I'd be much better at doing a top 10 for the Sisters of Mercy or Bauhaus. Or, possibly, Duran Duran.

For some reason, Wu Tang Clan's "Gravel Pit" always makes me think of the Beatles. I think it's because the video makes me think of Ringo Starr's "Caveman".

Thanks for helping with the move yesterday! I couldn't have done it without you.

Files from The Crief Case said...

Top 10:
1. The Long and Winding Road
2. Here Comes the Sun
3. Strawberry Fields Forever
4. Norwegian Wood
5. Eleanor Rigby
6. Fool on the Hill
7. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
8. Maxwell's Silver Hammer
9. A Day in the Life
10. Hey Jude

Now here's my Top 10 favorite songs by the Beatles not with The Beatles:
1. Imagine
2. My Sweet Lord
3. #9 Dream
4. Handle Me With Care
5. Silly Love Songs
6. Nobody Told Me
7. You're 16
8. Another Day
9. Whatever Gets You Through The Night
10. End of the Line

It's Mom said...

I'm glad you've included "While my guitar gently weeps." While I never gave George enough credit years ago...that song has become one of my all time favorites.
Glad you went clothes shopping...also one of my favorites.

Lons said...

"While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Dig a Pony" are both excellent choices that would appear high on my list. I'm also a big fan of "Penny Lane," as well as David Bowie's amazing cover on same on his "Bowie at the Beeb" collection.

Also, the entire "Rubber Soul" album. I mean, "Run for Your Life" is completely incredible - both infectiously bouncy and intensely CREEPY. Plus freaking "Drive My Car," "The Word," "I'm Looking Through You"...all on one album. How are such things possible?

. . . said...

i accept your challenge! but i will need time to think . . .
your list is great. you have always been important to my cultural well-being for keeping me listening to fantastic music.

. . . said...

i did it!

http://thedelectableword.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-top-ten-list-december-11.html

Lelah said...

I totally agree with your assessment of Tomorrow Never Knows. It's a song ahead of its time. She Came in Through the Bathroom window is one of my favorites...and I have to agree with Lon about Rubber Soul. That was the first Beatles album I owned and every song makes me think about something very specific. I also absolutely love You've Got to Hide Your Love Away and Another Girl from Help! and I love Something, You Never Give Me Your Money, actually everything from Abbey Road. Okay, that's enough. It would probably be easier to pick my ten least favorite Beatles songs, since there would be a lot fewer to decide between. (Yellow Submarine would be on that one.)