Monday, December 10, 2007

A Rose By Any Other Name Would Smell As Sweet

My name is Jonathan Harris. I work at Mahalo.com. However, type "Jonathan Harris" into www.mahalo.com and what you get is not me. What you get is this guy. He is an artist or something. He apparently creates "projects that explore human expression on the Internet."

Wow, I do that, too. Me and this Jonathan Harris guy have so much in common. I'm not bitter, really. After all, would I actually expect the "Jonathan Harris" result page to be about me? I haven't done anything of note, and it is, admittedly, a rather common name. I have one of the most popular male boys names in the country, and "Harris" is up there among the most common last names. I've often wondered whether my name has restricted me, made me seem more common and average than I might really be.

There are many notable Jonathan Harrises who have accomplished quite a bit. He was the villain on the original "Lost In Space" show. (Side Note: Weird to read an obituary with your name in it) He's this artist guy mentioned above. He's a Connecticut State Senator. He, apparently, sells totally badass camera equipment. AND! I just discovered that he's a fairly ridiculous country singer. <----Seriously, this link is worth clicking on. The biography on his official website describes him as "a popular fixture of the Puget Sound country scene". Golly, and I've just done nothing with my life!

I know I'm not the only one to have this problem. Just in my office alone, I work with a Michael Moore, an Andy Kaufman, and an Adam Smith. I also work with people who have completely original names. So original that the chances of someone also having it are extremely slim. I envy them at times. All of this is covered quite festively in Alan Berliner's film The Sweetest Sound where he finds about 11 other people in the world with his same name and invites them all to dinner. It's quite interesting.

Anyway, here are images of the people I also am, none of whom look anything like me.




No comments: