Friday, March 14, 2008

Could this be my most popular post ever...?

This is the first part of a short story. Something tells me it might be more widely read than most of my posts....

We were castaways. Traveling to God knows where. Gambol wanted to go east and Stacy west. Falling on hard times, I thought to myself. I hadn't eaten in so long I was starting to hallucinate. Something in front of me, a performance. Skeletons and zombies dancing in on the water like some twisted Doomsday Revue, their teeth wide and grinning, their epic weapons brandished like a cold, hardened winter soldier.
I wish I were back at the Tiger Ranch, spreading my legs out on Bay Hill, feeling the sun on my brown legs, drinking cool lemonade and eating sausages. Not like now. Our reserve was almost empty and we'd eaten the last of the corned beef and cabbage. It wouldn't be long before we all got typhoid and rickets and legionnaires disease. Gambol was getting impatient. I knew he'd be the first to crack without food. I saw the way he looked at Stacy's golden hair. If he was going to die, he wanted something out of it. His eyes looked like the snarls of 800 dogs and his hairy hands pawed at his face like those of a bear, stern scruggs of drool dripping down onto the wooden planks of our increasingly decaying boat. I had to stand up against him, even though my stomach was eating itself and it felt like I should sit on the toilet for two years. He was already moving closer. I reached into my kit and gave myself a quick shot with the last of the benzylpiperazine. I was ready to fight. I knew Gambol had a torn aorta and he wouldn't last more than a few seconds. Stacy wasn't even aware of what was about to go down. She lay there, nearly unconscious, twirling the nautical tow rope around her fingers like a kid's toy. This is it, hardbody. Let's dance.

To be continued...

3 comments:

C.K. said...

Was it the most popular?

Jonathan said...

The post actually was not significantly more popular than any others I write. I attribute this to 1) My blog not being much of an authority on anything, 2) No outgoing or incoming links, 3) Competitive space on search engines for those terms.

It's Mom said...

And when can I expect more? Reminds me of a T.C. opening. Shall I shoot it to Mrs. Strahl?