Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Brilliance That Is Wall-E

Will there be a better film in 2008? Possibly. If the year ends and I decide that Wall-E was the best film released, will I try to convince myself otherwise? Not a chance.

Wall-E is an absolutely amazing accomplishment. I have friends that write off animated films and haven't given this film a second thought after seeing the trailer. If you're one of them, please reconsider. This is a hilarious film, an astonishingly touching film, and one of the best love stories I've seen in years. That Pixar could convince me to care so much about the relationship between two technologically disparate robots is truly remarkable.


I won't go into the story, as you likely already know it. I will just say this: the very simple, straightforward emotions expressed from Wall-E as he risks his existence to get close to the robot whose mission he doesn't fully understand transcend animation and transcend traditional storytelling. If you're on the fence, see this movie now.

It is a visual masterpiece and may be Pixar's best film yet. (Remember, these are the people behind The Incredibles and the Toy Story films.)

Alright, I should stop gushing. But, here's an interesting point. After the film ended, my friends and I discussed the themes and the characters for over an hour afterwards, a similar amount of time devoted to films like No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood last year.

See it. You'll love it.

No comments: